At 12:00 PM 7/4/2012, Finlay MacNab wrote:
Your argument assumes that the there is no air gap between the dielectric and the charged plates. It also assumes that the electrolyte behaves like a regular 100ohm resistor.

The plates are against the cell walls. Sure, you can make up an air gap. It would be small and have almost no effect on the analysis.

Yes. The electrolyte, within bounds, behaves somewhat like a resistor. In fact, the resistance changes under real conditions, it's noisy, as I mentioned. Noisy resistor, and there is capacitance in parallel and in series with the resistor, if you want a more complete model. The details are completely swamped by the magnitude of the problem. The effect on the electrolyte and all that is immersed in it is minute.

And I seriously doubt the competence of anyone who asserts otherwise, after seeing the problem. I very much doubt that anyone from SPAWAR will defend that paper, and I do think it likely that we will see some comment.

It was just an error, and it does not impeach the vast bulk of their work.

In this case, where the movement of ions in electrolyte is dominated by diffusion and mixing from the gas bubbles generated by redox reactions at the two, in solution, electrodes the electrolyte does not behave like a 100ohm resistor. Your treatment of the system as two dielectrics sandwiched between three metal plates is not sufficient to describe the system.

That isn't my description of the system. It is two dielectrics between two metal plates, not three, and between the two dielecrics (acrylic) is an electrolyte, that is, water with a substance dissolved so that it will conduct a substantial current with a modest voltage.

Absolutely, modeling the electrolyte with a resistor is primitive. But the difference in the behavior of the electrolyte, due to error in this model, with respect to the division of the high voltage across the three regions, will be insignificant.

You don't know if mixing and diffusion within the electrolyte and the extremely low mobility of solvated ions would allow an external electric field to exist within the electrolyte and allow electrophoretic and other field induced effects to influence the near surface of the Pd film.

I know that an equipotential surface exists inside the cell that will totally screen any effects on this cell from what is beyond that. The current from the high voltage supply, through the electrolyte, will be in the picoamp range, that is completely necessary, because the only conduction path is through two plates with very high resistance. This current is totally swamped by noise from many sources. Likewise the voltage experienced by the electrolyte stemming from the high voltage supply.

Finlay, don't immolate yourself on trying to be right. You know enough to get into trouble, to make up complex explanations that ignore the obvious. The electrolyte is a decent conductor, the LiCl salt has been added for that purpose, and that purpose alone. Ohms law still applies with current, voltage, and resistance through an electrolyte. Power dissipation is still current times voltage. Kirchoff's Law still applies with electrolytes.

Finally, the only mention of the strength of the electric field in the paper: "the cell placement in an electric field (2500–3000 V cm-1)" refers to the entire cell, it does not refer to the field within the electrolyte. The authors never assert that the field strength is 3000 V/cm within the electrolyte.

The cell is placed in an electric field with that strength before the cell is placed in it. In fact, with the cell in place, loaded with electrolyte, the field strength becomes much quite a bit higher, within the acrylic, and far, far lower within the electrolyte. They imply that the field within the cell would be substantial enough to affect cell chemistry, when the field within the cell is actually truly miniscule, swamped by noise in the other sources of voltage, specifically the electrolytic power supply, as well as the electrochemical phenomena taking place.

Basically, there is a region about an inch wide. It is between two plates. The plates have 6 KV between them. The cell is placed in that space. The electric field is no longer uniform, as it was before the cell was placed. Specifying the electric field strength, instead of the total field, is pretty strange, except this is what they were thinking they were doing, they thought they were subjecting the cathode to an enhanced electric field. It's really pretty silly, I'm sure that there are some stories behind this.

Frankly, if I didn't think this awfully unlikely coming from SPAWAR, I'd think the whole thing was a joke, a parody on cold fusion research.

Your assertion that the authors claim that the effects result from high fields is not born out by their treatment of the electrolyte, interphase region, and bulk Pd regions of the cell.

The title of the paper? The effect of an external electric field on surface morphology of
co-deposited Pd/D films

There isn't any "bulk Pd" in this cell, by the way.

The abstract says "The polarized PdD electrode undergoes significant morphological changes when exposed to an external electric field."

That implies that the electrode (cathode, in this case) is "exposed to ... the field," wouldn't you say? But it isn't. From the position of the electrode, no detectable effect of the field, as a field, would be discoverable. No detectable force would be acting on the cathode resulting from the field being turned on. Note that in this experiment, the current is increased simultaneously with the field setup, doubled to 100 mA. That will have a far greater effect. There is no indication of controls.

How about "The effect of a homeopathic dose of plutonium, 30X, on the surface morphology of co-deposited Pd/D films"? Frankly, it's as likely. More likely, in my book. But it's obvious. Some people don't immediately see the problem. We've seen some here who don't see it even with presented with big blinking signs and short or long explanations.

The total electric field -- voltage gradient -- experienced by something immersed in a conductive electrolyte, placed inside an electric field, cannot exceed the voltage across the electrolyte. Voltage across the electrolyte is voltage across the electrolyte, it will cause a proportional current to flow, in accordance with the nature of the electrolyte. It's not a linear resistor, that's true, but also highly misleading here. The electric field cannot possibly cause more than a very small leakage current to flow, I calculated it as in the picoamp region. That is not nearly enough to affect *anything* in the cell, materially, there are far higher currents present, that are thenselves noisier at much higher levels. There is no discriminable field found inside the cell, in the electrolyte, coming from the high voltage supply. That supply might have another effect, though, I mention it below.

Thus your assertion that the authors' manuscript contains a "shocking analytical error" is not accurate. Your comment that a retraction of the paper would be useful and that the paper is an example of subjective judgements is highly inflammatory and unjustified. These comments, being insufficiently supported, are incredibly insulting to the authors of the paper and to the entire SPAWAR group.

Not nearly as insulting as allowing this to stand, when anyone with half a brain and a bit of knowledge about how electrical fields work, such as any technician who has ever worked with high voltage, can see the problem at a glance, should they happen to look.

Look, I have correspondence with people involved with SPAWAR, and with the senior scientists in the field. If I'm wrong, they will tell me, they are not shy. I won't necessarily repeat what I find in inquiring about this, I have some suspicions that I'd rather not voice. Just some political stuff. But I do intend to ask them. It's up to them if they care about their reputation.

But I care about it anyway. Otherwise why bother with this trivial BS? SPAWAR has done a pile of valuable work.

"Subjective judgments" Aw, Geez. I just reread the paper more carefully. It's far worse than I thought. There are too many problems to even begin to address. Something went dreadfully wrong there. But I'll start with "subjective." There is nothing in the paper to indicate how the differences were seen other than someone's report that something looked different. Different from what? There is a lot of questionable theory and not much objective observation or data. There are photographs showing morphology, but no controls beyond one photo of "normal" surface. Which doesn't look that much different from what they show as one of the "electric field" images.

I'll point to one piece of text:

3.3. Effect of electric field
By placing an operating electrochemical cell, a part of the
field energy is transferred to the cell. In particular, the
electrostatic field affects each individual subsystems, viz.
electrolyte, interphase and bulk electrode, in a different way.
Moreover, the action may be either direct or indirect; in the
latter case, it affects a process which is not directly
connected with the presence of the electrical charge.

First of all, the first sentence is incomplete. I think they meant to say, "by placing an operating electrochemical cell in an electric field, a part of the field energy is transferred to the cell." Sure. A miniscule amount of energy is transferred, once. It's not clear whether or not they placed the cell in an existing field or turned on the power with the cell operating, I saw other text that implied the latter.

When the power supply is on, power dissipation in the acrylic, each side, would be about 3000V x 1 pA, or about 3 nanowatts. At the same time, there isa bout a watt being dissipated in the cell, from the electrolytic current.

I don't see what they are saying except filling space with words. A field would have different effects on different objects. That needs to be said? There is no specificity here. It all assumes that there is, within the cell, an "electrostatic field" created by the external field. There is no such field, not within the electrolyte, which covers the subsystems mentioned.

I see a report that

The first noticeable effect, after placing the cell in an
electric field, is the “swelling” of the co-deposited PdD
material followed by a displacement toward the negative
plate of the capacitor.

Is that an effect of "placing the cell in an electric field" (which is an odd way of describing turning on the power, one ordinarily attemps to avoid disturbing codeposition cells, the plating can fall off the wire at the slightest excuse), or is it an effect of doubling the electrolytic current? The two actions took place simultaneously, according to the description at the beginning of the article.

Palladium swells as it is loaded with deuterium, that's a very well-known effect. Increasing the current can increase the loading and, in fact, that's the normal desired effect of increasing the current.

The purpose of the work was to explore the role of forces acting on the surface of a deposited cathode in developing the complex morphology that is found. They jump from this into an attempt to apply a force using an "external electric field." This implies that the field would exert some force on the surface. They never consider the magnitude of such a force, they seem to assume that it would be present, giving some quite complex reasons that don't seem to make sense.

This paper is truly embarrassing. I kind of wish I hadn't looked.

Note: a high voltage supply like that might have some gross effect on the cell. If there is noise in the supply, the cell might vibrate. Vibration of the cell could certainly affect morphology.

All this has no significance with respect to cold fusion. They aren't reporting any effect on heat generation here, and using an "external electric field" did not become any part of any protocol that I know of.

They believed they saw something and maybe they did see something (perhaps that vibration effect, just a guess of mine). As far as I know, nobody has confirmed this work. The images are used sometimes to show the complex surfaces of codeposited CF cathodes, they are useful for that. Really, as far as I can tell, these are just SEM images of codep cathodes, no clue as to whether or not these were active with a nuclear reaction. One might notice that the surfaces are quite varied. Were all these varied cathode surfaces created with the exact same conditions?