Values are found in some work substantially higher, but it is generally consistent with a theory that the actual reaction Q is the deuterium value, but roughly half if the helium is being trapped in the cathode or otherwise escaping detection. Helium *is* apparently trapped in the cathode, near the surface, consistent with origin at or near the surface. Helium is not found in the bulk of the cathode.

If helium is born near the surface with a little kinetic energy, it will ion-implant itself in the palladium and helium is generally not mobile in palladium at these low temperatures. McKubre was able to coax some or most helium out of the cathode by cycling loading/deloading.

I've suggested dissolving the cathode to release the helium, but this has not been done to my knowledge. It's an area where plenty remains to be done.

For a review of the helium work, see Storms, "Status of cold fusion (2010)," Naturwissenschaften. There is an as-published preprint on http://lenr-canr.org.

The finding of helium correlated with heat is amply replicated. See Storms.

Storms estimates from the data that the Q is 25 +/- 5 MeV/He-4, but I haven't seen a rigorous analysis. There is quite a bit of variability, easily due to the difficulties in capturing all the helium.