I saw the HBO movie, "Too Big to Fail," about the 2008 market crash. I
recommend it. It is a dramatization with actors. Based on what I have read
about the crisis it seems to be historically accurate.

Regarding this history I recommend the book "The Devils are All Here."

I mention this movie here because in my view, the history of cold fusion
has been one long disaster caused mainly by dysfunctional institutions,
especially the physics establishment in the US. The two events are more
similar than you might think. Both took a long time to develop. Both are
still happening. The problems in the financial markets have not been
solved. The closing scenes of the movie show that they have not even been
addressed in many ways.

The roots of the 2008 crash began in deregulation in the Reagan era, when
the separation between banks and investment banks was first eroded and then
later abolished. The Glass-Steagall act first establish this separation. It
was weakened and then finally repealed in 1999. Many experts feel this was
the proximate cause of the disaster. There were many other causes such as
greed, stupidity and lax supervision. Complicated, large events in history
tend to have many causes I think.

What I find most frightening about the 2008 crash in the weightless for
trade in this movie was not the actions of evil and stupid people, but
rather what the good people did -- and did not do. They were conscientious,
smart, skilled bankers and government officials who saw this coming who did
nothing to prevent it. Others should've seen it coming but did not. Maybe
it was just the movie, but I felt particularly sorry for Ben Bernanke. As
he says in the movie, he spent his whole career studying the Great
Depression. He knew how it came about. He was desperate to prevent
something like this from reoccurring. But you have to ask: Given all of his
knowledge and power, why didn't he see it was imminent?

I have encountered many good scientists over the years who know something
about cold fusion, yet who are unwilling to go out on a limb and recommend
funding for it or tell their colleagues that there may be something to it
and it is worth investigating. These are good people. They are ethical,
hard-working and honest. They have influence. Some of the members of the
2004 DoE committee were like that. Despite their virtues, these people have
stood by and done nothing to prevent the worst fiasco in the history of
science and technology. As I wrote here before, they are guilty of sins of
omission. A professional has a moral responsibility to proactively promote
virtue. An professor should promote academic freedom. A banker or regulator
should work to prevent moral hazard on Wall Street.

I have often quoted Martin Luther King in this context: "We will have to
repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of
the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people."

I have often railed against smart people such as Robert Park who campaign
vigorously in opposition to cold fusion. Actually, these people are
nonentities. As Ed Storms often points out, if they did not have the
backing of the scientific establishment they would have no influence. Many
powerful people outside the limelight agree with Park. They stand by and do
nothing while he and others continue to pull strings, prevent funding, and
destroy reputations. Park is an evil man. He is a political animal. But the
world is teeming with such people. They do not usually cause catastrophic
failure in mainstream physics or the banking system. These institutions
have defense mechanisms and that usually prevent such people from doing
their worst. Sometimes these mechanisms fail.

I have often railed against stupid people, who sometimes cause even more
harm than smart malevolent people. (See G. Livraghi, "The Power of
Stupidity.") That has been the case in cold fusion and the movie gave me
the impression it was often the case on Wall Street. Granted Wall Street
does tend to attract attract ner-do-wells and criminals -- probably more
than mainstream physics does. Another quote from King:

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

The most dangerous kind of stupid person is someone like David Lindley or
the editors at Scientific American. They are genuine experts with loads of
professional knowledge. Lindley knows far more about nuclear physics than I
do. What he lacks is not professional knowledge but common sense and a feel
for how things work in the real world. These people have mastered a rich
specialized professional vocabulary and mannerisms. They can give a
convincing impression they know what they are talking about, when in fact
they saying nonsense. There are many similar people on Wall Street. They
know tremendous amounts about the financial system, banking, laws and
regulations, spreadsheets, tax laws, and arcane investment vehicles such as
"credit default swaps" (CDS). But they lack common sense. They assumed that
housing prices would rise indefinitely, and never fall. They did not say
this in so many words, but they built it into complex models, spreadsheets,
and CDS contracts. They used CDSs to convert the AGI corporation into a
gigantic bomb rigged to explode the moment housing prices fell 5%. The
rigged all of Wall Street. This was not because they were malevolent; it
was because they were greedy and stupid.

Most of the time I have no clue what these Wall Street people are saying.
There was a marvelous scene in the movie when Paulson and the experts at
the Treasury Department were preparing a statement to describe the disaster
in progress. Step-by-step they translate the Wall Street jargon into plain
English until it becomes clear that what these people were doing at AGI was
lunacy that was bound to bring about disaster. Finally, in a touching,
tragic moment Paulson admits "it was becuase we were greedy."

Here are 20 minutes of video clips from the movie and interviews with
authors of "The Devils are All Here" and others. This is a good synopsis:

http://www.hbo.com/movies/too-big-to-fail/index.html#/movies/too-big-to-fail/inside/video/video/opening-the-vault-on-the-financial-crisis.html