Jed wrote:

"Super volcanoes are unlikely."

For someone who is so keen on reading history, this statement is a
bewilderment to me.  Surely you realize that the SCIENTIFIC evidence for
volcanic eruptions far more powerful than M.S.Helens is well established.
If what you are referring to is how likely it is to happen *in our
lifetime*, then I might agree.  For all natural disasters, their
size/destructiveness is inversely proportional to their frequency of
occurrence; i.e., the more destructive they are, the less often they occur.
However, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the larger historical volcanic
eruptions triggered a mini ice age.

The point being made here, so it can't be missed is, people were NOT present
in any significant numbers, or at all, when ALL PREVIOUS MAJOR CLIMATIC
CHANGES OCCURRED, WHICH MEANS, THE EARTH DOESN'T NEED OUR HELP!  SHE IS
PLENTY POWERFUL ENOUGH TO CAUSE MAJOR CHANGES ALL BY HERSELF, AND SHE WILL
CONTINUE TO DO SO LONG AFTER WE'RE GONE.

It is perfectly clear and irrefutable, that there are NATURAL forces which
have been operating over hundreds of thousands of years, and probably ever
since the planet formed, which cause this planet to have regular, periodic
changes to its climate. all with no human help whatsoever.  You can be sure
that those forces are still present and working today!!  Are we helping to
initiate those climate changes with our CO2/thermal pollution and other
man-made effects?  Probably, but contributing how much compared to the
natural processes??

"The largest asteroid imaginable can probably be detected ahead of time and
deflected. It might take a space elevator, trillions of dollars, and the
efforts of 100 million people, but I am certain we could do it, if only we
have enough time, and the will to act."

I agree that we most certainly should be able to detect them, and NASA has
had programs to catalog all NEO objects larger than 1km.  However,
deflection is much more difficult. but at what cost for something that might
not happen in 10000 years?  You want to spend $1T on that?  Sorry, that's
absurd. in 200 years we'll have "deep space asteroid detection satellites"
and space-borne vehicles that could fly out to meet the asteroid when it is
still far away, and nudge it gently, but continuously so that its trajectory
is altered enough so that by the time it gets to earth, it is far enough
deflected to not affect the earth in a signif way. and all for a fraction of
the $1T . no, that is what I mean by wasteful spending.  It will make sense
sometime in the future though.

Getting back to my point about the magnitude of natural disasters, the
Tunguska event leveled a 2000-kilometer area (a much greater area than St.
Helens did, mind you) and the object is believed to have been only 30-50
*meters* in diameter (speed X mass).  That's if you don't buy the
speculation that it was an unintended mishap from Tesla's testing one of his
devices!  Also, an impact by a 10 km asteroid on the Earth is widely viewed
as an extinction-level event, likely to cause catastrophic damage to the
biosphere.  Depending on speed, objects as small as 100m in diameter are
*historically* extremely destructive.

-Mark Iverson