Hi Mark,

My reply is below --

MarkI-ZeroPoint wrote:
> Hi Lou,
> No, I do not know of any simulation tools, but didn't the article refer to
> Schrödinger's equation?  I take it that is not enough, but the paper would
> likely explain the mathematics.

Yes - in theory, a simulation of the multibody Schroedinger is possible,
but since computer time and memory requirements go up exponentially with
particle number, only simple, few-particle simulations are possible.
The quantum chemists have a lot of tricks to reduce the simulation
requirements, but I don't know much about them.

> The other thought that comes to mind when looking at the pics of the
> charge
> distribution inside the nucleus, is orientation; and I've mentioned this
> before in relation to electrons.  I.e., if you could fire a particle (e, p
> or n) at an individual nucleus, would the orientation of the line of fire
> and the arrangement of nucleons (which in some cases takes in the look of
> crystal lattice), would the probability of interaction be highly different
> (towards MORE likely to interact) if the line of fire was oriented
> perpendicular to what appears to be the nucleon lattice... or edge-on?
> There is a reason WHY the E and B fields are perpendicular (and don't say
> because of Maxwell!); there is a reason why when certain decay occurs the
> ejecta fly off in opposite directions, etc.  There most certainly is
> geometry and specific orientations involved in atomic structure.  The
> problem is just colliding two beams, or various other methods of
> investigation are dealing with a collection of atoms and thus, the
> orientation of collisions is random, which leads to probabilistic
> outcomes.

Yes. It must get really complicated when all of the orientation and
fine-structure nuclear variables are taken into account.  I am not sure,
but I'd guess that some experiments induce a collective spin in the
targets to at least reduce that dimension.  For sure, the decays you
mention
respect momentum and energy conservation, and indicate some kinds of
symmetries and orientations in the nucleus.  I wish I knew more about this.