Human DNA holds far more capacity to adapt then can be expressed in any
given individual. This DNA is like a large toolkit, where tools can lay
dormant until needed.

For example, in the battle against Aids, scientists have acquired what
looks like a potent new weapon. HIV, the virus that causes Aids, doesn’t
infect everybody. Some people are simply born immune.

It’s all down to their particular genetic make-up and researchers are
beginning to understand where that genetic protection comes from.

Stephen O’Brien from the US National Cancer Institute has discovered that a
mutant form of one particular gene, called CCR5, confers protection against
HIV.

That same gene variant may well have arisen in Europe, as a direct response
to the Black Death.

Genetic distribution

The idea comes from a careful analysis of where in the world this
particular gene variant shows up.

According to the researchers the mutation is absent in Africa and
throughout East Asian populations and evident in varying amounts across
Europe. O’Brien explains:

‘It was present as high as 15% in Scandinavia; it was less in Europe, about
10% in France, Germany and England. Further south it was 5% and in Saudi
Arabia and Sub-Saharan Africa it was 0%.’

Believing that this ‘genetic drift’ was probably not random, the scientists
looked to their history books to find out when this mutation was last
prevalent in human history and what conditions may have favoured it.

The Black Death

Using the tools of molecular population genetics to identify exactly when
the allele was last in force, the researchers were able to estimate that
the gene variant was under a strong selection advantage approximately 700
years ago.

This period coincided with the period in history when bubonic plague was
sweeping through Europe.

The Black Death, as it was known, started in Italy in 1347 and during the
next three years it moved across Europe, killing perhaps as many as
three-quarters of the people it infected.

The disease itself is thought to be bubonic plague, which is caused by a
bacterium carried on the backs of rats. It can also be passed directly from
human to human, which can result in death occurring within three days.

The Black Death was so named as sufferers displayed a range of symptoms
including the lymph nodes swelling with pus and breaking the blood vessels
under the skin. This caused internal bleeding and turned the skin black.

This outbreak of the Black Death lasted for over 300 years, killing at
least 25 million people until it disappeared in 1670. However bubonic
plague is a disease that still shows up every year in thousands of cases
throughout Africa, Asia and the Americas.

Bacterial similarities

Even through the researchers can not be certain that bubonic plague drove
the mutated gene to such a high level, the study has unearthed some
intriguing similarities between Aids and the Black Death. O’Brien explains:

‘There are hundreds of different tissues that viruses or bacteria can
infect. Both HIV and yersinia pestis, the bacteria that causes Black Death,
interestingly attack exactly the same tissues.’

‘The fact that precisely the same cells are the targets of this virus, the
fact that the timing of this mutation is exactly when there was Black Death
maybe indirect, but I think that they are telling coincidences that make
the Black Death the most likely candidate for selective pressure.’

O’Brien now plans to work with scientists in Paris to establish if the
presence of CCR5 in mice will lead them to be resistant to plague
infection.

Meanwhile it is hoped that this research could have implications for new
approaches to HIV- Aids treatments. Which could be good news for those in
areas of the world, such as Africa, where levels of CCR5 in its mutant form
are known to be low.