The reason the balloon gets sucked in and the reason the coil gets hot is:

The unit has created gremlins (collapsed matter).  Over time, the gremlins
are collapsing additional matter available in the vicinity until they have
finally collapsed all the matter available.  The coil is available to take
charged particles away.  Unfortunately, he may also be getting bombarded
with quarks, gluons and other quantum goo that he is not even aware of...