The dissolving in salt water is a matter of course, actually. I used to
work on fixed sonar equipment. It's astounding - the first time -  what
happens to dissimilar metals in salt water when there is a small current
flow for one reason or another. But quickly you just learn from your
elders: tell the customer not to violate the installation instructions. And
tell them not to bother to sue. They'll lose.

Jeff