something different :-)

From: Jeff Berkowitz

Jones, did you take pains to keep the wires and connections out of the
electrolyte? How did you attach the wires to the coins? Did you do anything
special to prepare the surface of the coins, or just use dirty old
circulating nickels?  ;-)

Thanks!

Jeff

Actually, the polarity issue was one of the things that intrigued me about
Chuck's results, in the context of AC.

With DC and a graphite cathode, the suspicion is that carbon is
participating in the heat, BUT Sites says he saw no thermal anomaly with
other metals as the anode. Often, in simple experiments, one learns more by
what is not seen, than by what is seen. This was the point of trying a crude
replication. It requires nothing exotic to do this, and it appears that yes-
there is unusual heating with the US 5-cent coins as both anode and cathode,
with borax electrolyte, under AC power (~10 watts) compared to using the US
penny (copper); and it is time to move this into a lab to document. Caveat,
the coins are different sizes, making it difficult to compare
"apples-to-apples".

If you have children or grandchildren with science interests, this simple
experiment could mature into a meaningful school project, if nothing else.
We need to begin to educate the next generation of fringe scientists :-) and
putative "excess heating" is an ideal way. Here is a classic paper to start
with, keeping in mind that Ni-H appears to be demonstrably more active than
Pd-D, when done correctly:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/SzpakSlenrresear.pdf

In general, one would expect metal ions to migrate to a cathode, and for
hydrogen to form and be released but, with good technique, a percentage of
hydrogen can be retained as hydride. Essentially this can happen in the
process called "co-deposition" - and when heavy water is used, the
deposition of Pd positive ions onto the cathode happens with deuterons
entrained, and you get instant loading. With this in mind, but using AC, one
should try to suppress water splitting and Ohmic heating, by large
separation of electrodes.

Having read and understood the Romanowski paper, there is one other 'trick'
to use. You want to get the alloy much closer to optimum, and pure copper
does not form hydrides and moreover - is also "anti-catalytic" for spillover
- and worst of all, is more mobile in an electrolyte - so one will benefit
from having nickel wire handy as well.

                From: Teslaalset

                I wonder whether anode and cathode are mixed up here.
                The cathode in such setup generates Hydrogen.
                Using a coin as cathode enables hydrogen to merge into the
coin's metal lattice.
                Right?

                Alan J Fletcher wrote:

                "If I had a nickel for every time" ...
                So ... with that caveat in mind, here's a cheap tip about
what to do with
                another cheap tip - all those Buffalo coins you've been
saving for the meter
                ... IOW - there is a ready source of Romanowski alloy for
Celani type
                reactions in your pocket, or center console, as we speak.

                The U.S. nickel has been a cupronickel since 1913 and the
composition is
                rather similar to Constantan:  75% copper 25% nickel with
trace amounts of
                manganese. Romanowski would approve.

                Last year I had a private email from Charles (Chuck) Sites
--- who has given me permission to post :

                 I was reading Vortex-L and followed your link.  I'm an old
cold fusion guy
                but pretty much a lurker.  I found your article on Rossi's
E-Cat to be very
                interesting.

                Here is a story about CF, from 1984 with Pons and Flieshman
                announced their discovery,  I was a young excited physics
student, and
                immediately want to test the concept of CF.  I didn't have
palladium, nor
                deuterium.  So I was looking for an alternative.   I was
thinking, Boron has a
                very large cross section (Q factor) and B11 could easily
cold fuse given the
                right  circumstances.   So looking at what I had, what would
be a good source
                of Ni? Not knowing it's metal makeup I choose an American
nickel 5-cent piece.
                (75 percent copper, 25 percent Ni) This was the Anode.  A
source of Boron,
                would be Borax (Na2B4.10H2O).  The cathode, I used graphite.
This was hooked
                up to a 65 Watt 5 Volt supply from an IBM PC. To my
surprise, the Nickel got
                extraordinarily hot.   Too hot to touch, and I melted
several plastic p tree
                dish before changing to jars.   I was always able to bring
pint of water to
                80C after running for about 8 hours.

                Other metals used for the Anode, showed no indications of
even being warm.
                (Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Zinc).  So a US 5 cent piece gave
great results.
                I even had a Geiger counter go off once, but it may have
been a cosmic ray.
                Given that, I could never really understand how this Nickel
got hot without
                radiation.  I could never get a theory as to how it worked
either, in spite of
                the fact that the experiment is very repeatable.