Do you recall whether or not P&F made cracks in their material?  I have been
assuming that the high pressure of the hydrogen due to electrolysis would cause
the nickel - copper material to generate internal dislocations as the hydrogen
forces its way in.  I understand that hydrogen makes metals brittle by this
process.

Yes, I understand what Ed was speaking of and plan to subject new test pieces
to stresses such as torch heating and water quenching.  I also will try
mechanical stresses and scratches as with a grinder and hammer, etc.

It takes time to generate confidence in a test system and test samples so I
need to work with this one for a while before I abandon it.  Today I am seeing
clearly positive results which must be verified or disproved.    I must use my
calibration sample to determine if the results are real.

The sample I am testing has been loading with hydrogen for around 36 hours.
Keep your fingers crossed.

Dave