This morning I found a link that may be related to the borax and nickels
thing: http://www.sparkbangbuzz.com/els/borax-el.htm

I found it, believe it or not, here:
http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-159040.html

I had thought mods generally ban CF/LENR topics there, but I guess not
completely, or at least not completely back in 2007. (There's a mod comment
about this at the end of the thread.)

Jeff