On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We must make a "human use of human beings" as N. Weiner put it. The
> problem is that the scope of human uses for human beings is getting
> narrower and narrower.

No we musn'nt.

Humans, standing alone, are organisms with a relation to the natural world
that is as purposeful as any other organism's relation to the natural
world.  "Human use of humans" is merely double-talk for the "purpose" of
forming multicellular agglomerations without the time-space bounds set by
sex-death.  Those who find it appealing to be a mere asexual cell acting as
part of such a whole have lost the meaning of sex and therefore the value
of death.

> The problem was masterfully laid out by Orwell in "The Road to Wigan Pier"
> (referenced above). Here is how I would describe it:
>
> When only a person can do a task, and no machine is capable of it, is is
> ennobling work. It gives purpose and meaning to life. When a machine can do
> it far more cheaper, faster and better than a human, that same task then
> becomes worse than slavery.

This is the problem of sustainability as a delicate balance between
resilience and efficiency.  See this video for a description of the
relevance to theories of economic
efficiency<http://www.tedxberlin.de/tedxberlin-2009-bernard-lietaer-why-this-crisis>
.