At 06:45 PM 10/14/2012, Eric Walker wrote:
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <<mailto:a...@lomaxdesign.com>a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

Actually, you do. Is there a minimum current at which the effect appears? Does the effect scale with current? If there is no scaling with current, there would still need to be some minimum current or it's not "electrolysis."

In an electrolysis experiment, you would need a minimum current to have electrolysis. Â In Oriani's review of his work, he says that there were current densities of between 0.1 and 0.37 A/cm^2. Â I don't think there was a question at any point about there being a minimum current.

My point has been missed. If electrolysis causes the effect, then the effect will extinguish at some current level. When medication is being tested, this is "dose-response" effect. A lack of a dose-response effect is a sign of artifact. (Not necessarily a proof, because of threshhold effects.)

The highest current did have the highest track counts, it was off the charts, not numerically reported. However, I recall studying this before, there wasn't any apparent correlation with current.

 Â A finding pertaining to current would be nice, of course. Â But to my mind, current is just a proxy for hydrogen flux (or loading), and it is possible that you could get high flux with lower current, so correlation with this particular variable is a week finding, as far as I can see.

No, lower current would generally mean lower flux. Further, lower current can mean lower voltage, and if the voltage is below a certain level, hydrogen/deuterium is not evolved.

In general, yes.  But there might be gradual sulfur poisoning of the kind described by Hioki et al. [1], or poisoning by some other nuclide, the onset of which is both current-related and which serves to obscure the relationship between current and effect.  In this case, you have current, increasing poisoning, a hard-to-decipher relation between current and effect, and a real effect, buried in there somewhere.  Correlation with current is nice, but I don't see it as a must-have in order to draw basic conclusions.

Conclusions might be possible without current correlation; however, again, the lack of correlation is a bad sign.

I find the whole paper so confusing that I'm just putting it down. Eric, your comments don't seem to match the sections and description in the Oriani paper.

I notice that the nominal page numbers at the top right-hand corners of the pages do not correspond with the actual page numbers of the PDF. Â I've been referring to the nominal page numbers. Â I'm pretty happy with my descriptions of the sections, minus an inaccuracy here and there -- perhaps others here can read the paper and see if they agree.

Normally, with a published article, "page N" refers to the page number printed on the page, not to the page sequence in a PDF, which includes front matter. Page 110, though, was obviously a reference to the printed page numbers, because the PDF article begins at about PDF page 117.

As I've written before, this is investigational work, not the kind of work that can be used to draw clear conclusions. A great deal more work would be needed, with tighter controls, and a single variable. If there is an effect from electrolysis, at what level of electrolysis does the effect appear?

If all conditions are held constant, how consistent are the results?

Nobody has substantiated. Kowalski tried. From Oriani's original paper (not the recent review), I didn't see that Oriani's data supported the claim of "reproducible." It wasn't clear what was being reproduced.

In the paper I read, Kowalski found two things in relation to Oriani's earlier study. Â The first thing he found was that there were tracks he believed to be caused by electrolysis and not ambient radioisotopes or cosmic things, which was in agreement with a claim of Oriani. Â The second thing he found was that he was not able to reproduce another claim of Oriani, concerning repeatability. Â So he supported one claim and didn't support another; that's a more complex conclusion than that he simply wasn't able to reproduce. Â You may have another paper by Kowalski in mind, however.

Kowalski does not "believe" that the tracks he found were caused by electrolysis. He considers that one possible explanation. Kowalski is quite careful. He is looking at clusters. Oriani reported some clusters, but clusters aren't Oriani's claim. Kowalski's paper cannot be considered to be a confirmation of Oriani's claims, beyond a finding that some unusual and difficult-to-explain phenomena occur.

SSNTDs are highly sensitive and accumulate very low levels of radiation, radiation we would not ordinarily notice with electronic detectors.

(Kowalski: http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/KowalskiLonemission.pdf )