It turns out that determining the speed of sound in metals is kind of a
mess.

There is formula, sqrt (Young's Modulus / density), that gives an
approximation of the answer.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe2.html

For nickel, I find 200GPa and 8.94e3 kg*m^-3; the formula then gives 4740
m/s. But this is only 84% of a purported value I found in
http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/ndt-tutorials/thickness-gage/appendices-velocities,
which gives 5630 m/s.

It seems even harder to find good answers for copper, I think because it's
hard to find a single value of Young's Modulus. Wikipedia gives a range of
110GPa - 128GPa; http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/young-modulus-d_417.html is
the citation for the wikipedia page and gives 117 (grin).

With density = 8.96e3 kg*m^-3, 110GPa and 128GPa give 3500 and 3780 m/s
which are 75% and 81%, respectively, of the value 4660 m/s found in that
same link. But this other link
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/sound-speed-solids-d_713.html gives a
completely different value for speed of sound in copper, about 3900 m/s,
which agrees more closely with the estimate from the formula.

For 70/30 cupronickel alloy,
http://www.copper.org/applications/cuni/txt_properties.html shows a value
of 22 * 10^6 psi±5% ≈ 152GPa for Young's Modulus and 8.95 for the density.
This gives 4120 m/s by formula. The above examples all suggest this value
is low, but there's no way to know how low.

The second link above includes this text:

*The table below lists typical longitudinal wave ultrasonic velocities in a
variety of common materials that can be measured with ultrasonic thickness
gages. Note that this is only a general guide. The actual velocity in these
materials may vary significantly due to a variety of causes such as
specific composition or microstructure, grain or fiber orientation,
porosity, and temperature. This is especially true in the case of cast
metals, fiberglass, plastics, and composites. For best accuracy in
thickness gaging, the sound velocity in a given test material should always
be measured by performing a velocity calibration on a sample of known
thickness.*

The goal here is construct an electrode that will define a standing wave at
a certain frequency *f* that is near 430KHz but is not known precisely.
Given all of the above this is going to be tricky. We cannot just vary *f* to
fit the electrode size because it's not arbitrary. We cannot know the size
of the electrode to construct for a given *f* unless we have very accurate
knowledge of the speed of sound in the electrode material. In addition we
must accurately control the other conditions, e.g. temperature, because
they will affect the speed of sound in the material.

And all this fussing is just to find out whether the phenomenon is real or
not.

If this stuff was easy everybody would be doing it.

Jeff