John and Jojo,

It is apparent that the two of you are not going to agree on the path to take
and therefore it would be advantageous for you to settle down and treat each
other with due respect.  I am hesitant to enter into the fray because the water
is looking pretty deep and muddy.

There are reasons to avoid spending the immense sums of capital in an effort to
slow down the global warming that is perceived by most of the climatologists.
This situation reminds me of a war in many ways.  Much of the domestic
production can be diverted toward items or systems that are redundant and end
up being destroyed.  I am sure that the hundreds of thousands of planes,
trucks, tanks, and so forth replaced refrigerators, stoves, cars and other
domestic consumption items that were not produced.  Each of the domestic things
would have made someone's life a bit easier, but were not built for obvious
reasons.

When something as expensive as wind turbines are produced to replace less
expensive coal fired electricity production then that money is not available to
use for productive purposes.  People make a case for the jobs that are created
to build these beasts, but those same folks could be producing cars.  Usually,
if it takes some form of incentive to make a desired thing happen, then that
proves that the desired outcome has a cost associated with it.  Production of
items of this sort are no better than busy work for extra government spending
projects.  Of course on occasions this is just what the country needs to
achieve reasonable employment numbers.

John, you must admit that Jojo has a point about proving that a problem truly
exists before excess expense and time is dedicated to solving it.  I expect
that you could dream up many possible scenarios of problems that might arise if
you made an effort to do so.  For instance, everyone is convinced that one day
soon a major earthquake will hit the west coast of the US.  If we applied the
same logic to this possibility as to the global warming issue, then it is time
to force everyone to move out of that area or rebuild every house that is not
capable of withstanding a large earthquake.  I doubt that it would cost more to
fix the earthquake problem than what you propose for global warming.

In the case of global warming fears time is on our side.  The worse case
expectation that might occur by the end of the century is a long way into the
future.  None of us will be around to worry about it I suspect, but we do need
to worry about our grandchildren.    We all brag about the new technology that
is going to improve the Earth in the future, but some seem to have little real
belief in what they predict.  Why would anyone be so negative about what can be
achieved during such a long time frame?   Look at what has been developed
within the last 50 years alone.  Go back 100 years and the world looks very
different than today.  Electronics has come of age, space travel is real, radio
is now everywhere and used by everyone.  First, tubes were discovered and then
replaced by solid state devices.  Computers are prevalent now, but only in
their dreams back then.

The world is not even close to how it was 100 years ago, so why assume that it
will not improve significantly during the next 100?  New processes and
technologies will be developed  that we have no clue of at this point.   Our
best solutions to global warming now will most likely look ignorant in just a
few decades.  I suspect that the future generations will laugh at our stupidity
if we shoulder ourselves with immense costs now when the cost might be
insignificant later if a little time is allowed to pass and truly good
solutions discovered.   And of course, if there is really no problem to begin
with as many think, then the future peoples will not be burdened by our quick.
ignorant attempts at fixes today.  People within this group should realize that
LENR is just around the corner and will most likely eliminate the problem by
itself with no necessary action toward carbon controls.

Let me mention one example that demonstrates how fast technology can solve
problems.  Do you recall the human genome project and what transpired?  In the
beginning no one knew how to sequence genes quickly since it had not been done
on a large scale.   The first group under government control worked diligently
for many years by using a process that was less than intelligent.  This was
unfortunately the only way that was understood at that time.  They came up with
an answer at great cost.  Toward the end of the task a private group had a
brilliant idea about breaking the material into small pieces and then
assembling them into the whole.  This stroke of genius worked orders of
magnitude faster than the other approach.  Now, the old technique is history as
it should be.

I believe that the future solutions to the assumed global warming crisis will
be subject to the same technological improvements as the gene sequencing.   If
LENR does not solve the problem, then something else will come along.  Have
faith in our guys!  Do not cry that the sky is falling in 100 years and do
great harm to the poor people of the world, get to work figuring out how to
support the sky and stop complaining.

Does anyone in this list actually believe that humanity is not capable of
inventing the way out of it's problems?  If you are correct, then this will be
the first time in human history that it has come true.  I chuckle at the
concept that there are no new technologies that are awaiting that serendipitous
discovery that comes along every few years out of the blue.  You and I do not
know what it is at the moment, but it will come around like clockwork.   I am
almost afraid that carbon will become valuable as it is stripped from the air
to build carbon based items for future generations.  We may have to tax the use
of the gas to ensure that plants do not go lacking.   It is not too far of a
stretch to think that building materials constructed of carbon fibers aka nano
tubes will consume too much of the stuff and force us to mine more coal just to
replace that fixed by industry.

Dave