At 08:12 PM 12/26/2012, Jojo Jaro wrote:
Here is how guile is defined:

     Noun 1. guile - shrewdness as demonstrated by being skilled in deception
     craftiness, cunning, foxiness, slyness, wiliness, craft
astuteness, perspicaciousness, perspicacity, shrewdness - intelligence manifested by being astute (as in business dealings)
    2. guile - the quality of being crafty
     deceitfulness, craftiness
     disingenuousness - the quality of being disingenuous and lacking candor
3. guile - the use of tricks to deceive someone (usually to extract money from them)
     chicanery, wile, shenanigan, trickery, chicane
     dissimulation, deception, dissembling, deceit - the act of deceiving
dupery, hoax, put-on, humbug, fraud, fraudulence - something intended to deceive; deliberate trickery intended to gain an advantage jugglery - artful trickery designed to achieve an end; "the senator's tax program was mere jugglery"

My friend, what you did is known as "guile".

Who was deceived?

Guile is a form of lying. It is condemed in the Bible and equated to outright lying. But apparently, by your own testimony of having commited it in Wikipedia, you have no problem with it. OK. I'm not surprised.

Right. Not only have I no problem with what I did, it's one of the best things I did that year.

The administrator in question had written: "I can demonstrate functional evidence of my bans existence."

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Abd-William_M._Connolley/Workshop&diff=prev&oldid=306819768

I saw that and knew immediately what to do. He was saying that he could prove that his ban existed, and how was obvious: if I violated it, he'd block me. So I announced my intention:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Abd&diff=prev&oldid=306978541#Notice_regarding_the_editing_of_Cold_fusion_and_its_talk_page.

The core of it: "I now withdraw that voluntary ban extension." Nobody objected.

And the next day, about 24 hours later, a question was asked on the Cold fusion talk page that I could answer, and so I answered, and the rest followed like clockwork.

Guile? Only by some of the first meaning. I wouldn't mind "perspicacious." I knew what I was doing, and there is no harm in that. I simply stopped cooperating with an improper ban, declared by a highly involved adminstrator, against policy. The policy, in fact, was clarified by this case, bans like he'd issued became known as improper. I looked him in the eye, openly, and said, No.

Really, I was not a powerful editor, directly. This was David and Goliath. But I didn't take him down, he took himself down. I knew he would do it. He'd committed himself, and he was proud, very proud. He was not about to make an empty threat. He said he'd prove it, he'd prove it.

I did not hate him. I said nothing about him that I could not absolutely prove. He was far from the worst Wikipedia administrator, but he was doing damage. And he'd come after me. (He didn't give a fig about cold fusion, but he was a friend of JzG, who'd blocked and banned Pcarbonn, and Jed Rothwell. He was really just supporting his friend. I had taken JzG to the Arbitration Committee, successfully getting him reprimanded, over the blacklisting of lenr-canr.org, and that was not to be allowed. These people strongly disliked any challenge to their authority., and they retaliated.)

I'm being reminded that I'm a Muslim. We are not pacifists, we are permitted to establish justice, we are permitted to defend the weak and stand for freedom from oppression, and sometimes we are even commanded to do these things, where we are able. This never excuses going beyond limits, the verses on fighting are very explicit, it is not allowed to attack those who don't attack us, and responding in kind is *the limit*, and forgiveness is better *if justice is established.*

Hmph. End speech.

Jojo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Abd ul-Rahman Lomax" <a...@lomaxdesign.com>