If you have ever looked at a DVD or blue ray disk after it has been
recorded, you will notice that it reflects the light in rainbow colors. The
small pits produced by the recording laser burner in the aluminum substrate
beneath the .1 mm protective polycarbonate surface.

Using this simple and inexpensive technology, I wonder is nano-engineering
and nano-photonics may be made available to the poor man.

Our computers can be programed to write data sequences to files burned onto
a CD or blue ray disk as required for the sizes of the nano-structures we
are interested in producing. We may then have the ability to build quantity
cracks consistently every time. These cracks could be modified for
experiments by simply by reconfiguring the data file that has generated
them.

Whereas DVD uses a 650-nanometer red laser to read information from a disc,
the Blu-ray Disc format uses a shorter-wavelength, 405-nanometer blue
laser. With Blu-ray, data is packed more tightly: The pinpoint focusing
precision of Blu-ray's shorter-wavelength beam and the special lens allow
data to be recorded into pits and marks that are less than half the size of
those on DVD (a 0.32-micron track pitch, defined as the gap between tracks,
for Blu-ray versus 0.74 microns for DVD). Another area of efficiency for
Blu-ray lies in the short length of the data marks written to disc: about
111 nanometers on Blu-ray, and about 267 nanometers on DVD.

Nickel or palladium may be sputtered on polished aluminum or with glass as
a more robust substrate to replace the polycarbonate. The laser may produce
micro-particles using the pits as a negative form with consistent
characteristics when the glass is sputtered by our homemade magnetron.

Cheers:     Axil