Before I comment, I should caution that I am only an EE and not a trained
nuclear physicist or chemist.  It is only natural for me to try to
understand behavior in more familiar, EE terms.

I would not like to offer an explanation so much as a mental
rationalization that I have constructed to help me understand what is being
reported.  Dr. Peter Hagelstein (MIT) has a theory and simulation about the
effect of coupling of the deuteron(s) in the lattice to the other
surrounding atoms in the lattice.  We all know each of the atoms in solid
condensed matter is highly coupled to its neighboring atoms by the shared
electron orbitals.  This is strong coupling - it is what makes a solid.

I also know from my RF training about he behavior of coupled resonant
structures.  Take a single resonant structure having a single resonant
frequency.  It has a single eigenmode (resonance).  Now take an identical
resonant element and bring it into coupling with the first.  What happens
is that the eigenmode of each splits into two eigenmodes geometrically
centered on the original eigenmode.  If there are 3 coupled resonators,
then EACH resonator will have 3 eigenmodes.  Even weak coupling cause the
multiple eigenmodes, but they may be close to each other.

Now consider that each atom in a lattice is a resonant element that is
coupled to all of the other surrounding atoms in the lattice - strongly
coupled to the close ones, and weakly coupled to the more distant atoms.
 Also imagine that the nucleus is a resonant structure (vibrational,
rotational, and maybe in other dimensions) and is coupled to the electron
cloud and hence to all of the other neighboring atoms and their nuclei.
This would mean that the nucleus itself could now have multiple eigenmodes
through its coupling to the neighboring atoms - something that would really
only occur in condensed matter.

One way these nuclear eigenmodes could be visualized may be in terms of
formation of shallow isomeric stabilities in the nucleus.  Could then,
transitions between the multiple shallow isomeric stabilities be equivalent
in some way to the eigenmodes of the electron cloud and allow transitions
between them?  Could this allow the nucleus to de-excite via transitions
between these coupled isomeric stabilities - giving off quanta that are
defined by the difference in energy between the different nuclear isomeric
states (the eigenvalues)?

Of course, this doesn't explain or help understand how the Coulomb barrier
is overcome, just how it may be possible in condensed matter to de-excite a
nucleus via multiple small gamma photons.  Also, by this hypothetical
mechanism, this behavior would be possible anywhere in the lattice and is
not special to cracks or to the surface of the solid where LENR appears
evidenced to occur.  Perhaps the de-excitation of a nucleus by small gamma
photons  is a property of the condensed matter and overcoming of the
Coulomb barrier is something that only happens in special features (cracks,
surface) in the condensed matter.

Obviously the nuclear coupling nucleus eigenmode splitting would be
affected by the atomic spacing; and a hydrogen/deuterium atom in a crack
would certainly have a different couplings, and hence different eigenmodes,
than a hydrogen/deuterium atom would have inside the more regular lattice.
 Could a unique coupling that could occur with just the right crack, split
the eigenmodes of the nucleus in such a way that it matches phonon
eigenmodes in the lattice?

Bob

--

Regards,