I could imagine that some form of precursor event is required before
another can be initiated. The   concentration of electrons on the surface
of the nano-material must reach a critical level before the reaction is
productive. Rossi uses thermoelectric material to get this surface electron
density up and DGT uses a spark discharge.
Cheers:   Axil