It looks like they believe the meteor came from the asteroid belt out past
Mars.  There is a new paper posted on Arxiv
http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-meteors-meteorites/russian-meteor-analysis-orbit-apollo-asteroid-130226.htm

James, you said that it could not have been pulled in from a comet and came
from another direction.   Do you have calculations or papers to reference
supporting that?

Comet PannSTARS arrives in a couple of weeks to the closest point to Earth.
 Comet Hergenrother broke-up in November.  I wonder where all those
chunks/nuclei go?

Harry,  the one other way I see that the meteor may have been orbiting the
other Asteroid is if you employ quantum physics and assume one/both were
much more massive than their volume implies.  This would allow a much
higher velocity orbit around each in space.

Our observable mass is off by a factor of 25 everywhere else in the
universe (5% baryonic vs. 95% dark) so why not stretch our minds just a bit
and assume it might apply right here in our backyard.

Stewart
darkmattersalot.com