Yes you missed something.  You missed this part of my post:

the motive of concocting such a coincidence would be to telegraph a
message to intelligence agencies that "You will notice we sent the
asteroid's little brother in a controlled
shallow-angle entry.  Think what we could have done?  Notice, also,
how we've made your politicians who posit a US weapon system look like
baffoons
-- we still possess plausible deniability hiding behind an "act of
God" propaganda."  This has the Heinleinesque feature that it may be a
bluff
based on a very limited capacity to actually deliver such kinetic
energy weapons from nonterrestrial resources -- a limit that would be
very very
difficult for adversaries to place reasonable error bars on.

Foreign policy implications are still at issue here but, for crying out
loud, aren't there enough potential reasons for conflict between Russia and
the US?