Eric,

I was thinking that the neutrons would move relatively freely through matter
since they lack a charge to interact and the physical sizes of the nuclei as
well as the neutron are so small compared to the electron orbitals.  How
quickly does the cross section fall as neutron energy goes up?  Can you relate
them as an inverse proportion?

If the neutrons become extremely cold do you see them being reflected by the
electrons of the atom?

Give this thought a little consideration.

Being cold is just another way of saying that they are moving very slowly
relative to the target atoms.  It would seem that the motion of the target
atoms themselves would tend to defeat the entire concept of ultra cold neutrons
since their relative motion would be so much greater.  Why would it not be
necessary to keep both parts of the equation ultra cold if we are speaking of
relative motion?  The implication is that it would make very little difference
in performance whether or not the generated neutrons were cold relative to our
observation point.

Dave