That is a good thought Harry.  It would be true if gravity behaved the same way
as magnetism.  In the case of gravity additional matter that is allowed to
become attached to the initial body behaves in exactly the same way as the
original matter.  The larger net body generates a larger gravity field.  The
incoming steel that is attracted to the magnet does not have any magnetism to
bring to the table.  Instead, it absorbs some of the original field.

I guess one way to see a difference between these two forces is to observe what
happens when a lot of heat is applied to each system.  The gravity gets a tiny
bit stronger due to the mass associated with the heat energy while the magnet
looses its magnetism.  The natural state of magnetic materials is to be
demagnetized so that is what happens when it gets a chance.  I think of it as I
would a large collection of small bar magnets in a pile.  There is a very
strong tendency for each one to join with another that faces in the opposite
direction where the north pole of one is attached to the south pole of the
other and vice versa.  This would result in the lowest energy configuration.
Also, gravity does not have poles that can cancel each other with careful
alignment.

It is interesting to construct a larger magnet by placing the north pole of one
against the south pole of the next in a single line.  You would easily be able
to make many others the same way as long as they are built in a one unit thick
linear form.  If you now try to make a more powerful magnet by placing two
equal length ones in parallel, they will repel each other and attempt to flip
over so that the north pole of one is against south pole of the other.  Again,
this is a lower energy configuration that the system will attempt to achieve.

When the steel is allowed to contact our magnet, some of the magnetic flux is
allowed to follow a shorter path through the added steel and the external field
becomes weaker.  Each additional piece of steel that we add absorbs more of the
available flux until all of it contained within the net structure and no more
escapes to attract additional steel masses.   This represents the lowest energy
state for the system.

Dave