On May 5, 2013, at 11:52 AM, Eric Walker wrote:

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 7:10 AM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote: Whereas Hagelstein’s model, when all is said and done, is an invention created to match an experimental outcome (which it does) but with no precedent in physical reality.

I think such models are called "phenomenological models" -- my impression is that the idea is to try to accurately capture the behavior you're seeing at the macro-level and then go from there. This seems like a solid approach, provided you don't jump to conclusions about what is going on under the hood. My possible issues with Hagelstein's models are not that they're phenomenological, it's that they don't seem to be very good, phenomenologically speaking. He wants to use a harmonic oscillator, and what I see in the experimental data is chaotic behavior, with large transients here and there and then longer quiescent periods. Has anyone followed Hagelstein's recent papers who can describe the behavior one would expect to see from his models? Perhaps they are chaotic now.

Peter has two conflicts with reality. He propose the process occurs in metal atom vacancies, which are not present in significant concentration in PdD and he has to convert the phonons to photons to be consistent with observations. This conversion process is hard to justify. The model makes no useful predictions as far as I can tell and is very hard to understand and justify. However, the model is an amazing mathematical creation.

In one of his abstracts he offers a motivation for his general approach, which is to try to subdivide a large (24 MeV) quantum into tiny pieces using a "coherent energy exchange": "excess heat is thought to have a nuclear origin due to the amount of energy produced, yet there are no commensurate energetic particles". Ed has also said that the fast particles are not commensurate with what one would expect for excess heat. I would like to know more about the basis for this conclusion. There are obviously few neutrons. But when you look at the CR-39 experiments, there are fast protons and alphas. And occasionally there is a "hamburger" exposure, where the chip is filled with pits. Abd wants to set aside those instances as unreliable data points, but I think he's setting aside evidence in doing so.

The very small number of alpha and neutrons can be explained without assuming CF is the cause. Trying to fit all observations to CF, especially those seen at very low rate, I believe is a mistake. My model can explain these observations much easier.

Obviously when you have a system contained within a glass or metal housing, whether the system is electrolytic or gas phase, the fast particles are not going to escape. So the evidence one way or the other on whether there are fast particles commensurate with excess heat seems to hinge upon two points, as far as I can tell -- (1) the equivocal CR-39 experiments, and (2) insufficient brehmstrahlung and hot-fusion neutrons that one might expect as side channels. Can someone elaborate on anything I've missed here or gotten mixed up?

Fast particles make secondary radiation that can be easily detected. Peter made calculations showing the energy limit required to avoid detecton. You should read his papers. Here is a list.

1. Hagelstein, P.L., Rates for neutron and tritium production in coherent D-D fusion. 1989.

2. Hagelstein, P.L., A simple model for coherent D-D fusion in the presence of a lattice. 1989.

3. Hagelstein, P.L., Phonon interactions in coherent fusion. 1989.

4. Hagelstein, P.L. Coherent fusion theory. in Winter Meeting of The Am. Soc. of Mechan. Eng. 1989. San Francisco, CA,. p.

5. Hagelstein, P.L., A smple model for coherent D-D fusion in the presence of a lattice. 1989.

6. Hagelstein, P.L., Rates for neutron and tritium production in coherent D-D fusion. 1989.

7. Hagelstein, P.L., Phonon interactions in coherent fusion. 1989.

8. Hagelstein, P.L. Coherent fusion mechanisms. in Anomalous Nuclear Effects in Deuterium/Solid Systems, "AIP Conference Proceedings 228". 1990. Brigham Young Univ., Provo, UT: American Institute of Physics, New York. p. 734.

9. Hagelstein, P.L. Status of coherent fusion theory. in The First Annual Conference on Cold Fusion. 1990. University of Utah Research Park, Salt Lake City, Utah: National Cold Fusion Institute. p. 99.

10. Hagelstein, P.L., Coherent fusion theory. J. Fusion Energy, 1990. 9: p. 451.

11. Hagelstein, P.L. Coherent and semi-coherent neutron transfer reactions. in Second Annual Conference on Cold Fusion, "The Science of Cold Fusion". 1991. Como, Italy: Societa Italiana di Fisica, Bologna, Italy. p. 205.

12. Hagelstein, P.L. Coherent and semi-coherent neutron transfer reactions. in Third International Conference on Cold Fusion, "Frontiers of Cold Fusion". 1992. Nagoya Japan: Universal Academy Press, Inc., Tokyo, Japan. p. 297.

13. Hagelstein, P.L., Coherent and semicoherent neutron transfer reactions I: The interaction Hamiltonian. Fusion Technol., 1992. 22: p. 172.

14. Hagelstein, P.L. and S. Kaushik. Neutron transfer reactions. in Fourth International Conference on Cold Fusion. 1993. Lahaina, Ma: Electric Power Research Institute 3412 Hillview Ave., Palo Alto, CA 94304. p. 10.

15. Hagelstein, P.L. Lattice-induced atomic and nuclear reactions. in Fourth International Conference on Cold Fusion. 1993. Lahaina, Maui: Electric Power Research Institute 3412 Hillview Ave., Palo Alto, CA 94304. p. 11.

16. Hagelstein, P.L., Coherent and semicoherent neutron transfer reactions III: Phonon frequency shifts. Fusion Technol., 1993. 23: p. 353.

17. Hagelstein, P.L., Summary of ICCF3 in Nagoya, Feb. 16, 1993. 1993.

18. Hagelstein, P.L. Update on neutron transfer reactions. in 5th International Conference on Cold Fusion. 1995. Monte-Carlo, Monaco: IMRA Europe, Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France. p. 327.

19. Kennel, E.B., P.L. Hagelstein, and L.D. Smullin, Gamma and X- ray measurements in electromagnetically active systems. 1995.

20. Hagelstein, P.L. Anomalous energy transfer between nuclei and the lattice. in Sixth International Conference on Cold Fusion, Progress in New Hydrogen Energy. 1996. Lake Toya, Hokkaido, Japan: New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan. p. 382.

21. Tanzella, F.L., M.C.H. McKubre, and P.L. Hagelstein. Methods for observing anomalous energy transfer in solids. in The Seventh International Conference on Cold Fusion. 1998. Vancouver, Canada: ENECO, Inc., Salt Lake City, UT. p. 393.

22. Hagelstein, P.L. Anomalous energy transfer. in The Seventh International Conference on Cold Fusion. 1998. Vancouver, Canada: ENECO, Inc., Salt Lake City, UT. p. 140.

23. McKubre, M.C.H., et al. The emergence of a coherent explanation for anomalies observed in D/Pd and H/Pd system: evidence for 4He and 3He production. in 8th International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2000. Lerici (La Spezia), Italy: Italian Physical Society, Bologna, Italy. p. 3-10.

24. Hagelstein, P.L. A unified model for anomalies in metal deuterides. in 8th International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2000. Lerici (La Spezia), Italy: Italian Physical Society, Bologna, Italy. p. 363.

25. Sinha, K.P. and P.L. Hagelstein. Electron screening in metal deuterides. in 8th International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2000. Lerici (La Spezia), Italy: Italian Physical Society, Bologna, Italy. p. 369.

26. Sinha, K.P. and P.L. Hagelstein, Electron screening in metal deuterides. Trans. Am. Nucl. Soc., 2000. 83: p. 368.

27. Hagelstein, P.L. A unified model for anomalies in metal deuterides. in The 9th International Conference on Cold Fusion, Condensed Matter Nuclear Science. 2002. Tsinghua Univ., Beijing, China: Tsinghua Univ. Press. p. 121.

28. Hagelstein, P.L. Unified phonon-coupled SU(N) models for anomalies in metal deuterides. in Tenth International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2003. Cambridge, MA: World Scientific Publishing Co. p. 837.

29. McKubre, M.C., et al. The need for triggering in cold fusion reactions. in Tenth International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2003. Cambridge, MA: World Scientific Publishing Co. p. 199.

30. Hagelstein, P.L. Thermal to electric energy conversion. in Tenth International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2003. Cambridge, MA: World Scientific Publishing Co. p. 305.

31. Keeney, F., et al. Charged-particle emissions from metal deuterides. in Tenth International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2003. Cambridge, MA: World Scientific Publishing Co. p. 509.

32. Keeney, F., et al. Neutron emissions from metal deuterides. in Tenth International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2003. Cambridge, MA: World Scientific Publishing Co. p. 525.

33. Hagelstein, P.L. Resonant tunneling and resonant excitation transfer. in Tenth International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2003. Cambridge, MA: World Scientific Publishing Co. p. 871.

34. Chaudhary, I. and P.L. Hagelstein. Free-body nuclear wave functions. in Tenth International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2003. Cambridge, MA: World Scientific Publishing Co. p. 887.

35. Chaudhary, I. and P.L. Hagelstein. Coherence factors in many-particle three-level systems. in Tenth International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2003. Cambridge, MA: World Scientific Publishing Co. p. 903.

36. Hagelstein, P.I., A DEVICE, SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR INCREASING MULTIPLE OCCUPANCY OF HYDROGEN ISOTOPES IN A HOST LATTICE. 2003: USA.

37. Hagelstein, P.L., et al. New physical effects in metal deuterides. in DoE Evaluation of Low Energy Nuclear Reactions. 2004. Washington, DC: www.LENR-CANR.org. p.

38. Hagelstein, P.L., et al. New physical effects in metal deuterides. Report of the review on low energy nuclear reactions, in "Review of Low Energy Nuclear Reactions", DoE, Office of Sci., Washington, DC, 2004. in 11th International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2004. Marseilles, France: World Scientific Co. p. 23.

39. Hagelstein, P.L. Phonon-exchange models: Some new results. in 11th International Conference on Cold Fusion. 2004. Marseilles, France: World Scientific Co. p. 743.

40. Hagelstein, P.L. Models for anomalies in condensed matter deuterides. in Condensed Matter Nuclear Science, ICCF-12. 2005. Yokohama, Japan: World Scientific. p. 441.

41. Chaudhary, I. and P.L. Hagelstein. Four-body RST general nuclear wavefunctions and matrix elements. in Condensed Matter Nuclear Science, ICCF-12. 2005. Yokohama, Japan: World Scientific. p. 527.

42. Letts, D. and P.I. Hagelstein. Simulation of optical phonons in deuterated palladium. in 14th International Conference on Condensed Matter Nuclear Science. 2008. Washington, DC. p. 333-337.

43. Hagelstein, P.I. and I. Chaudhary, Models revelant to excess heat production in Fleischmann-Pons experiments, in ACS Symposium Series 998, Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions Sourcebook, J. Marwan and S.B. Krivit, Editors. 2008, American Chemical Society: Washington, DC. p. 249-267.

44. Letts, D., D. Cravens, and P.I. Hagelstein, Thermal changes in palladium deuteride induced by laser beat frequencies, in ACS Symposium Series 998, Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions Sourcebook, J. Marwan and S.B. Krivit, Editors. 2008, American Chemical Society: Washington, DC. p. 337.

45. Hagelstein, P.I., M.E. Melich, and R.E. Johnson. Input to Theory from Experiment in the Fleischmann-Pons Effect. in 14th International Conference on Condensed Matter Nuclear Science. 2008. Washington DC. p. 586-595.

46. Hagelstein, P.I. and I. Chaudhary, Electron mass shift in nonthermal systems. J. Phys. B, 2008. 41: p. 125001.

47. Letts, D., D. Cravens, and P.L. Hagelstein, Dual Laser Stimulation and Optical Phonons in Palladium Deuteride, in Low-Energy Nuclear Reactions Sourcebook Volume 2, J. Marwan and S. Krivit, Editors. 2009, Oxford University Press.

48. Tanzella, F., et al. Triggered energy release from palladium deuteride. in ICCF-15. 2009. Rome. p.

49. Hagelstein, P.I., M.C. McKubre, and F. Tanzella. Electrochemical models for the Fleischmann-Pons experiment. in 15th International Conference on Condensed Matter Nuclear Science. 2009. Rome, Italy: ENEA, Italy. p. 16-21.

50. Hagelstein, P.I. and I. Chaudhary. Arguments for dideuterium near monovacancies in PdD. in 15th International Conference on Condensed Matter Nuclear Science. 2009. Rome, Italy: ENEA, Italy. p. 282-287.

51. Hagelstein, P.I. and I. Chaudhary, Energy Exchange Using Spin-Boson Models with Infinite Loss. 2010.

52. Hagelstein, P.I., Constraints on energetic particles in the Fleischmann–Pons experiment. Naturwissenschaften, 2010. 97(4): p. 345.

53. Marwan, J., et al., A New Look at Low-Energy Nuclear Reaction (LENR) Research: A Response to Shanahan. J. Environ. Monit., 2010.

54. Hagelstein, P.L., Neutron Yield for Energetic Deuterons in PdD and in D2O. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2010. 3: p. 35-40.

55. Hagelstein, P.L., Simple Parameterizations of the Deuteron–Deuteron Fusion Cross Sections. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2010. 3: p. 31-34.

56. Hagelstein, P.I., Secondary Neutron Yield in the Presence of Energetic Alpha Particles in PdD. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2010. 3: p. 41-49.

57. Hagelstein, P.I., On the connection between Ka X-rays and energetic alpha particles in Fleischmann–Pons experiments. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2010. 3: p. 50-58.

58. Hagelstein, P.I., D. Letts, and D. Cravens, Terahertz difference frequency response of PdD in two-laser experiments. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2010. 3: p. 59-76.

59. Hagelstein, P.I. and D. Letts, Analysis of some experimental data from the two-laser experiment. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2010. 3: p. 77-92.

60. Hagelstein, P.I. and I. Chaudhary, Energy Exchange Using Spin-Boson Models with Infinite Loss. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2011. 4: p. 202-212.

61. Letts, D. and P.I. Hagelstein, Modified Szpak protocol for excess heat. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2012. 6: p. 44-54.

62. Hagelstein, P.I., Bird’s eye view of phonon models for excess heat in the Fleischmann–Pons experiment. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2012. 6: p. 169-180.

63. Karabut, A.B., E.A. Karabut, and P.I. Hagelstein, Spectral and Temporal Characteristics of X-ray Emission from Metal Electrodes in a High-current Glow Discharge. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2012. 6: p. 217-240.

64. Hagelstein, P.I. and I. Chaudhary, Including Nuclear Degrees of Freedom in a Lattice Hamiltonian. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2012. 7: p. 35-50.

65. Swartz, M.R. and P.I. Hagelstein. Demonstration of Excess Heat from the JET Energy NANOR® at MIT. in 012 LANR/CF IAP Course at MIT. 2012. Cambridge MA,. p.

66. Hagelstein, P.I. and I. Chaudhary, Coupling between a deuteron and a lattice. arXiv.physics.gen-ph, 2012. 1204.2159v1.

67. Hagelstein, P.I. and I. Chaudhary, Pulse and Amplitude Approximation for the Lossy Spin–Boson Model. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2012. 9: p. 30-49.

68. Hagelstein, P.I. and I. Chaudhary, Coupling between a Deuteron and a Lattice. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2012. 9: p. 50-63.

69.            Hagelstein, P.I., Lecture at MIT. 2013.

70. Hagelstein, P.I. and I.U. Chaudhary, Central and Tensor Contributions to the Phonon-exchange Matrix Element for the D2/4He Transition. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2013. 11: p. 15-58.

71. Hagelstein, P.I. and I.U. Chaudhary, Lossy Spin–boson Model with an Unstable Upper State and Extension to N-level Systems. J. Cond. Matter Nucl. Sci., 2013. 11: p. 59-92.

Ed Storms

Eric