On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com>wrote:

Eric, I assume that a single mechanism causes CF.

I am probably missing something important, but I don't see how the
statement below follows from the one above -- perhaps you are just
mentioning it and do not intend it as an essential detail to this
discussion.

> This mechanism does not produce energetic particles because if it did,
> they or their secondaries would be easily detectable when multiple watts
> are produced, as occasionally happens.

It is the phrase "if it did, they or their secondaries would be easily
detectable when multiple watts are produced" that I am trying to
understand.  I'm not saying it's wrong -- I'm just being like Descartes and
trying to start from the beginning, so to speak.  At one point you saw some
evidence or a chain of reasoning that led you to this conclusion.  I'm
trying to piece together what those details might be.  So far I gather they
are these things:

   - If you have deuterium nuclei moving about at energies greater than 20
   keV, you'll get a significant number of d+d→3He+n reactions, and those
   neutrons will escape and be detected and/or be dangerous to any humans
   around.
   - If you have alphas and protons moving around at energies greater than
   20 keV, you'll get secondary EMF that will be of a spectrum such that a
   significant part of it will escape the metal or glass housing for the
   system, as well as the layer of (heavy) metal substrate atoms that may be
   intervening between the nuclear active area and the area between the
   substrate and the housing.  For V watts of power, that EMF can be known
   with within a confidence interval W to have an X spectrum and intensity.
    Under those conditions, the amount of radiation that can be expected to
   pass through the Y mm of metal of a typical pressurized reactor housing is
   Z.
   - There are CR-39 experiments that provide evidence for the quantity of
   fast particles that have been observed when there is excess heat, but what
   they say is equivocal and/or the quality is poor.  For this reason, the
   CR-39 experiments are disregarded.

Does this sound about right?  Have I missed anything important in the
reasoning that led you to the above conclusion?  It is values for V, W, X,
Y and Z that I'm hoping to get some insight into.  I will try to see what I
can find in those papers of Hagelstein.  If you have any information on
these numbers, that would also be helpful.

Eric