On May 5, 2013, at 1:33 PM, Eric Walker wrote:

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Eric, I assume that a single mechanism causes CF.

I am probably missing something important, but I don't see how the statement below follows from the one above -- perhaps you are just mentioning it and do not intend it as an essential detail to this discussion.

This mechanism does not produce energetic particles because if it did, they or their secondaries would be easily detectable when multiple watts are produced, as occasionally happens.

It is the phrase "if it did, they or their secondaries would be easily detectable when multiple watts are produced" that I am trying to understand. I'm not saying it's wrong -- I'm just being like Descartes and trying to start from the beginning, so to speak. At one point you saw some evidence or a chain of reasoning that led you to this conclusion. I'm trying to piece together what those details might be. So far I gather they are these things: If you have deuterium nuclei moving about at energies greater than 20 keV, you'll get a significant number of d+d→3He+n reactions, and those neutrons will escape and be detected and/or be dangerous to any humans around.

Yes Eric, that is correct.
If you have alphas and protons moving around at energies greater than 20 keV, you'll get secondary EMF that will be of a spectrum such that a significant part of it will escape the metal or glass housing for the system, as well as the layer of (heavy) metal substrate atoms that may be intervening between the nuclear active area and the area between the substrate and the housing. For V watts of power, that EMF can be known with within a confidence interval W to have an X spectrum and intensity. Under those conditions, the amount of radiation that can be expected to pass through the Y mm of metal of a typical pressurized reactor housing is Z.

Yes, correct
There are CR-39 experiments that provide evidence for the quantity of fast particles that have been observed when there is excess heat, but what they say is equivocal and/or the quality is poor. For this reason, the CR-39 experiments are disregarded.

The CR-39 measurements were not made when calorimetry was done. Therefore, we do not know if the alpha relates to heat production or not. In any case, so little radiation is detected that any associated energy would be too small to detect. Nevertheless, the measurements show that a nuclear reaction was occurring, but not CF as the following logic shows.

If a single process operates, the heat and alpha radiation must result from this process. If let's say ten watts were produced, the alpha flux would have to be great enough to produce this power. A flux this large (~10^13 alpha /sec) would be easily detected. It is not detected. Therefore, the process that produces the detected alpha is not the process that produces the measure heat. Nevertheless, the measured energy is correlated with helium production. This helium can not result from the production of alpha, based on the logic above. Since I assume only one mechanism produces the heat, the alpha cannot result from the reaction producing the heat. The reaction producing heat creates non-energetic helium, which is called cold fusion. Based only on my one assumption and the observations, two separate, independent nuclear reactions can occur in a material. One generates energetic particles, typical of hot fusion and the other generates no energetic particles, typical of cold fusion. Confusion results when these two separate reactions are combined and applied to CF. I have proposed that what looks like alpha is actually energetic He3 resulting from the hot fusion reaction.

The logic is not complicated, although people keep making it complicated. Once you accept this logic, my explanation gets much easier to understand and accept. I have to wonder why people are willing to explore complicated reactions and complex logic while ignoring the most simple possibility.

Ed Storms
Does this sound about right? Have I missed anything important in the reasoning that led you to the above conclusion? It is values for V, W, X, Y and Z that I'm hoping to get some insight into. I will try to see what I can find in those papers of Hagelstein. If you have any information on these numbers, that would also be helpful.

Eric