On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How many replications does it take to ensure an effect is real?
>
> Everyone will have a different answer. A knowledgeable person will want to
> look at the papers, and evaluate the skills of the researchers, the choice
> of instruments, the signal to noise ratios and so on. For an experimental
> finding as surprising as cold fusion, I think most people will demand 5 or
> 10 "quality" replications from professional labs. What constitutes
> "quality" is partly matter of opinion.

Exactly. And the prevailing opinion is that there are *no* quality
replications. When P&F claim 140 W output with 40 W input with one type of
calorimetry, and McKubre gets 1 W out with 10 W input, that's not a quality
replication.

 I would say that by 1990 there were so many replications of heat and
> tritium that any continued doubts were irrational.

Right, so Gell-Mann, Lederman, Glashow, Huizenga, Koonin, Lewis, etc etc
can all be dismissed with a simple statement from a computer scientist as
being irrational.

> A Bayesian analysis sheds some light on this.

No. It really doesn't. A big pile of marginal results makes it look more
pathological, not less.