On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To be concrete, I think the issue is primarily one about attention to
> detail and to questions of burden of evidence.  It's fine to be skeptical
> of the tritium evidence, for example.  But if one is going to argue against
> it, one is going to have a lot of work to do.  One will have to show how
> each tritium result in each experiment was wrong or questionable, in
> specific detail; i.e., the burden of evidence (on this list, at any rate)
> will be on the person arguing against tritium having been found in some
> LENR experiments.

Again, I think that's nonsense. It's not possible to find errors in
experiments, just by reading reports, especially when they are incomplete
conference proceedings, as is the case for most of the tritium results. It
would be a lot of guessing and would not advance the discussion. But the
absence of glaring errors does not make a claim credible. What's needed is
credible replications and some kind of visible progress.

In the case of the tritium results, they vary by *ten* orders of magnitude,
and no two labs get the same results or even consistent results themselves.

I already argued why the LANL results are not persuasive. Likewise, BARC
claimed high tritium results within weeks of the 1989 press conference
using Pd-D, and then 2 years later they were claiming levels 5 orders of
magnitude lower using H-Ni. What happened to Pd?

Then you have Bockris's results were also very high, but were challenged as
fraudulent. He was cleared in a hearing, but there was a *hearing*, rather
than having the question settled in the lab. Can you imagine if someone had
accused Mueller and Bednorz of fraud when they claimed high temperature
superconductivity? They would have simply invited the accuser, or
adjudicator, or his charge, to the lab, and they would have said, OK, Yup,
it works. Or they could have called up *anyone* else in the field on the
planet, and they could have said: Yup, it works, they're OK. Tritium
results are supposed to be so obvious, but they had to have a hearing to
determine if someone contaminated the experiment.

You also have McKubre in 1988 confidently stating that tritium is not
observed in electrolysis experiments.

As with heat (or neutrons), the situation is no clearer with tritium now
than it was 20 years ago. The levels have largely decreased over time, and
in the last decade, there has been very little activity on the tritium
front, which again, fits pathological science, and puts those early results
-- some already under suspicion -- in serious doubt. To my mind, if they
can't resolve the tritium question in some kind of definitive and
quantitative way, there is no hope for heat.

>   It's simply that one can't get away with a facile statement to the
> effect that "there is no reliable evidence that the tritium findings are
> not contamination, etc." and expect it to advance anyone's understanding.
>  It's just a dogmatic assertion, since there are specific reasons to think
> it's wrong.

See above. That's not what I've done. I've said that if there were reliable
evidence, the tritium saga would have played out differently, and not just
slowly disappeared from the scene.