http://arxiv.org/pdf/1103.0187v3

Casimir effect from macroscopic quantum electrodynamics
Authors: T.G.
Philbin<http://arxiv.org/find/quant-ph/1/au:+Philbin_T/0/1/0/all/0/1>
(Submitted on 1 Mar 2011 (v1 <http://arxiv.org/abs/1103.0187v1>), last
revised 9 Jun 2011 (this version, v3))

Abstract: The canonical quantization of macroscopic electromagnetism was
recently presented in New J. Phys. 12 (2010) 123008. This theory is here
used to derive the Casimir effect, by considering the special case of
thermal and zero-point fields. The stress-energy-momentum tensor of the
canonical theory follows from Noether's theorem, and its electromagnetic
part in thermal equilibrium gives the Casimir energy density and stress
tensor. The results hold for arbitrary inhomogeneous magnetodielectrics and
are obtained from a rigorous quantization of electromagnetism in
dispersive, dissipative media. Continuing doubts about the status of the
standard Lifshitz theory as a proper quantum treatment of Casimir forces do
not apply to the derivation given here. Moreover, the correct expressions
for the Casimir energy density and stress tensor inside media follow
automatically from the simple restriction to thermal equilibrium, without
the need for complicated thermodynamical or mechanical arguments.