I propose a simple design for a Rossi controller:

A diode in series with the resistor.

This will draw a small AC component at 60Hz, combined with a large DC component. So any kind of power meter using clamp on ammeters will register some power, but nowhere near the full power consumed. Simply short out the diode for the calibration run, and voila. Rossi does not need to know the exact type of power meter to be used in advance.

I should point out that this design is not original. At Cambridge University Engineering Department, as undergraduates we were shown a baffling demo of two light bulbs in series. If you unscrewed one bulb, the other one still worked! It was built using thick copper wire on a plexiglass base, very baffling. It was done using concealed diodes in the light fixtures and also in the bulbs themselves. A 'scope would have given the game away immediately, but of course one didn't "happen to be available". They liked to train us for real-world scenarios such as this one!

Here is a light bulb illusion on YouTube, not quite as good (no plexiglass, unfortunately) but better showmanship and nice music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkfdN3QfQIY

I should also point out that the guy on You Tube calls it a "Light Bulb Trick", qualifying himself as an illusionist. Anybody claiming that the effect is real would, of course, be a charlatan.

Challenge: Can anybody perform this trick using a plexiglass base, solid copper wire connections, and a glass table?

Duncan