On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Berke Durak <berke.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > In fact I said the 3-phase input to the box was particularly unnecessary
> *because* only single-phase was used for the box.
>
> There are legitimate reasons to prefer 3-phase input.  If the output
> of the control box is a pulse width-modulated DC signal, then you need
> a high-power DC source.
> There might be requirements on the control waveform.
>
> Using three phases you can get DC with decent ripple using only a
> handful of diodes.  The power never goes to zero, whereas it would go
> to zero 100 times a second if you were using a full-wave rectifier
> with single-phase input.  If the peak power required by the e-CAT is
> around 1 kW, then you would need caps supplying up to 1 kW.  We're
> talking ~100 µF caps rated at 350V supplying 3.5A.  Such large caps
> are difficult to find and it makes more sense to go with multiple caps
> in parallel to supply that current.  These caps would dissipate a
> couple watts each.  Temperature very quickly shortens the lifetime of
> aluminum electrolytic caps.  Hence, if you use them you reduce the
> reliability of your device, which could be a problem for the e-Cat.
> And the above assumes the peak power is 1 kW.
>
> So I don't think you can say that 3-phase input is particularly
> unnecessary, unless you know things about the e-Cat we don't know.

I don't buy it. The reactor is a sealed faraday cage, so it's not going to
care about ripple or dc vs ac. It's just a thermal interface. But in any
case, in the dummy run, they measured the power to the ecat so that
suggests it's an ordinary ac signal. Anyway, a box powered by ordinary
mains can produce any signal shape they want. They wouldn't go to 3-phase
just to skimp on diodes and capacitors. The 3-phase looks more like
obfuscation to me.