Thanks Jones.  I just ordered one of those anodes.  I am also going to
cross check with a graphite anode.  I was using standard nickels and a
thoriated tungsten rod all plated with an extra layer of nickel as a
cathode.  I also added a small amount of nickel sulfate to the electrolyte
after approximately 24 hours of run time.

For my analysis above, I'm simply looking at the relative volume occupied
by the iron oxide versus the water.  If you use the equations for
Q=mc(delta T), you can see that less energy is needed to cause the same
amount of temperature change in iron oxide versus water.  I do also think a
lot of the heat was coming from oxidization throughout the run (as noted
with the temperature checked on the anode vs. cathode with an IR
thermometer).