Mark, the programming is the same as I have been using.  The wiring is a
little different as I am running directly from the power supply with this
experiment instead of through the relay bank.  The electrodes are placed a
little higher than typical, so the temperature sensor is deeper in the cell
than the electrodes.  Usually, they are at approximately the same level in
the cell.  Still, I don't think any of this would account for that.

I can think of two possibilities: 1) a malfunction of the temperature
sensor, or 2) the magnetic stirrer could have stopped spinning at some
point and then restarted causing the warmer upper layers to mix with the
layers at the level of the sensor.  I have no way of knowing about #2 (it
was spinning when I checked it later and was to start out).