I have collected more data in a new run that seems to explain things (see
chart below).  Something took place around 1000 seconds and corrected
around where the spike occurred (note that I removed some data from the
first part of Run 1 to line up the curves at the start of the runs).  The
most likely probability to my mind is that the magnetic stir bar must have
stopped spinning and restarted mixing the water layers again causing an
apparent spike in the temperature.  Jones suggested an experiment to
oscillate between the top and bottom of the spike range, which I have
started.  Just from the start of this new run, it is clear that the first
run was not tracking correctly from early on.

http://www.lenr-coldfusion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/6-16-13.png

I'll keep experimenting, and if I find anything of interest, will report
back.  Thank you for the comments and suggestions that helped figure this
out.