On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM, <torulf.gr...@bredband.net> wrote:

> There is a claim that successive transmutations threw addition of protons
> or deuterons actually is an mass spectroscopy error made from formations of
> molecules.

I remember some details along those lines.  Using mass spectrometry of an
insufficient resolution will get people in trouble if they forget about
other possible species.  I believe if you have a nice mass spectrometer you
can resolve the peaks sufficiently to distinguish between species of
similar mass.  I recall there being other ways than mass spectrometry to do
isotopic analysis as well.  But isotopic analysis does not sound like
something for the faint of heart.

BTW, in my earlier note I said that the combinations X + p and X + d were
common.  I now remember that these two reactions were not enough to explain
everything.

Eric