I wrote:

For this reason, people proposing a p+p reaction of some kind in the
> context of LENR ... (Widom and Larsen)

That was a little poorly thought-through.  Widom and Larsen are not
proposing a p+p reaction.  They're proposing a p+e electron capture
reaction, which also relies upon the weak interaction.  Apparently the weak
interaction can be sped up if the mass of the electron is increased, and
this is what I think they are trying to do.  I assume that if the electron
mass cannot be increased through the local concentration of energy (as may
argue is impossible or ill-conceived), the weak interaction will proceed
slowly and cause the difficulties I was getting at.

Eric