I suppose that the reactions you favor such as d + p appear to be easier to
believe because it is difficult to detect the p + p immediate ash.  One
suspicion that I have harbored for some time now is that the p + p reaction is
very common within the sun's active region.  But, the energy released at that
event is rampart in the local environment and can easily break up one of the
nearby proton pairs so that they return to separate components.  From earlier
research, I saw absolute proof that PP can not remain in that form, even
thought the strong force should overcome the coulomb force once they are in
contact.  The reason being that D is the only stable pair of nucleons and any
other pair will decay into D.  This includes NN or PP.

It does take time for the PP to decay into PN by the weak force, so I suspect
that the reaction  is not going to be all that common.  The forces ready to
break up the PP pair have plenty of time to do their jobs unless some mechanism
exists that takes this energy out slowly.  An electron capture seems to be the
best bet since the 511 keV pairs are not detected.  Ed's concept might be able
to assist with this problem.

Dave