I haven't seen that picture but based on earlier stuff I've seen that axial
magnetic field acts as a guide for the expanding plasma - the plasma first
travels axially and then intersects the transverse field at the ends,

when it hits the transverse field, the electrons spiral towards one
electrode and the positive species spiral to the opposite electrode with
the electrodes connected to a load

--
Jeff Driscoll
617-290-1998