Ed--

One simple question--In all the Ni-H systems has there been a good evaluation
of the residuel radioactivity?

What do you mean by " fragmentation" and  "Ni fission"?  For example, what are
possible fission products?  Lighter isotopes which are radioactively stable? Is
the fission process like the reaction of a neutron with U-235 producing
fragments with kinetic energy, or do the fragments merely stay put.

However,  If what you suggest happens, i.e. the introduction of d to the Ni
nuclei, why not the following reactions?:
     Ni-58 goes to Cu-60 (radioactive)
     Ni-60 goes to Cu-62 (radioactive)
    Ni-61 goes to Cu-63 (stable)
      Ni-62 goes to Cu-64 (radioactive) and
     Ni-64 goes to Cu-66 (radioactive).

All the radioactive Cu isotopes emit electrons or positrons and additional
x-rays or soft gammas to boot, in addition to the .51 mev x-ray associated with
positrons-electron reaction.  Cu short-lived activity should be seen if the
D-Ni reaction occurs.

Rossi and Focardi did not appear to advocate such reactions.  And I would have
estimated that they would have looked for them.  Remember they indicated no
residual activity and did not mention the P-e-P reaction in their patent
application. .   Focardi must surely have known about it--the P-e-P reaction.
Everything I have heard Focardi say and write  has made sense to me and has
seemed to be without obfuscation.  (I cannot say  this for hot fusion advocates
and the APS establishment.)  However, it would not be the first time I was
wrong.   A mentor once said "it takes $1,000,000 worth of mistakes to make a
good engineer," and that was in the late 60's.  Luckily I do not have to worry
about the issues Hagelstein and others make about my future career.

Bob Cook