Ed--Bob Cook here

Spin states of a quantum system reflect the angular momentum of the system and
hence the energy associated with that angular momentum.  High spin quantum
numbers reflect the higher energy of the system.  The allowable states are
quantized.  In magnetic fields the direction of the spin is controlled more or
less depending upon the field strength.  The allowable number of states is
reduced from the situation where there is no magnetic field.  Resonant magnetic
oscillating fields input to a nucleus with a magnetic moment and non-zero spin
state for  its ground state, can add energy to the quantum system by changing
the spin number of the quantum system.  This is the basis for the MRI
technology which is an accounting of the energy absorption  at a given
resonance frequency at well determined locations, identifying the nucleus with
the specific resonance frequency absorption .

 If there is spin coupling, (a basic assumption is that spin is conserved in
any nuclear reaction at the end of the reaction)  a coupling between various
particles subject to integer, J, quantum seems probable.   Thus, any He-4* with
a high spin integer J quantum number and excess energy--say 10 mev--would
distribute this high angular momentum to  electrons or other particles in the
quantum system--all the many electrons  and particles at the same time.  The
electrons (and other particles) in turn would distribute their excess spin
energy (angular momentum) to the lattice as electromagnetic field oscillations
or  radiation and hence lattice heat.  In the end the net spin would be what it
was to start with.  The reaction would be fast and cause results of the
distribution of quantum angular momentum and lattice motion instantaneously.
No energetic (kinetic energy) particles are  involved, only angular momentum
with its corresponding rotational energy.  The rotational energy may actually
be rotating electric and or magnetic fields associated with the particle with
the high spin quantum state.

Again I do not understand the details of spin coupling, the actual timing nor
the most likely fractionation of the spin/angular momentum among the particles
of the quantum system.  The basic idea is that the energy associated with the
mass loss first shows up as angular momentum or spin of the newly found He-4*
and this spin is distributed to the rest of the system.

Bob Cook