I wrote:

> The fallacy would be to state that: "we know this is a lie because it
> serves the speaker's best interests." That would only be true if people
> invariably, automatically lied whenever it was in their best interest to do
> so. We know they do not.

In this discussion, I have made a prediction that fossil fuel companies
will lie about cold fusion, because it is in their interests to lie. That
is not a logical deduction. It is a prediction based on my knowledge of
history and human nature. I may well be wrong. I will be delighted if it
turns out I am wrong.