Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> It will take years for that to happen, just as it did in automobiles.
> There will likely be trades secrets in LENR which prohibit this at first.

Okay, years. It took a while for the Intel microprocessor to gut the
minicomputer and mainframe markets. It did not happen overnight in 1970.

Cold fusion is likely to move faster for the same reason transistors did in
1952. Uncle Sam does not look kindly on trade secrets that prevent the
spread of vitally important technology. Back then, Uncle more or less
ordered Bell Labs to put transistors into the hands of experts at Los
Alamos and the major military contractors. Because of the cold war. Similar
military considerations will apply today.

> No major car manufacturer would buy engines from a vendor.
>

> Complete nonsense. This happens all the time. Toyota makes many engines
> for Chevy. 100% of several Volvo models are made by Mitsubishi.

Yeah, okay, but the engineers work closely together and they do not set up
a factory to make one-size-fits-all motors, like today's consumer
batteries. I meant there are no off the shelf sales.

Also, there is competition. No vendor is going to lock down that market.

Anyway, Exxon is no position to develop something like a cold fusion engine
or heater. There must be a thousand major companies with better expertise.
It will not be very expensive. We know that because Rossi working by
himself has managed to fabricate prototypes. A single individual could
never prototype something like a new CPU chip, a Prius hybrid motor, or an
oil tanker.

The R in cold fusion R&D is cheap. The D will cost way more, of course.
Still, I doubt it will be so expensive it will lock out mid-sized
industrial corporations. Unless it does lock out all but one or two big
companies -- like IBM in 1970 -- there will be competition and the price
will fall.