From: Eric Walker

Wikipedia has a discussion of Nickel hydride with several references to recent
papers.

I'm thinking more in relative terms -- I believe it takes quite a lot of energy
to dissolve hydrogen into nickel in comparison to the relative ease with which
hydrogen dissolves into palladium (which is sometimes called a "hydrogen
sponge").

In his Arata replication, Ahern found that an alloy of mostly nickel with less
than 10% Pd takes up more hydrogen than Pd alone.

But he also found that hydrogen concentration did NOT correlate to excess
energy. However, this was with protium, not deuterium. The highest absorber was
not the most active and a low absorber was actually superior. There is a known
correlation of excess heat to deuterium concentration in Pd-D experiments,
which is completely absent in Ni-H.

This is yet another reason, one of many - why consideration of all the
evidence, giving no preference to Pd-D, points to many different routes to gain
in LENR.

In many ways, protium and deuterium as so extremely different in physical
properties (especially nuclear properties) that they should be considered to be
different elements instead of isotopes of the same element.