Perhaps I can illustrate by avoiding thermal detection and going with
tritium:

Since tritium production is inherently time integrated, setting up a
Cravens style dual experiment with a one treated to have a wide range of
crack sizes, and both identical in all other respects, puts the primary
cost constraint on the beta-emission counter.  Can such counters be made
economical?