I understand that a steady magnetic field can not add energy to a charged
particle.  It can redirect the velocity vector of that particle but can not
directly add energy to it somewhat like the behavior of an electron beam that
is bent by a magnetic field so that it moves against a fixed electric field.
The initial energy of the electron allows it to move uphill against the
electric force.

But, if the magnetic field located at the particle is changing in magnitude or
direction it generates an electric field that can impart energy.   The enormous
fields that you mention must begin as small fields that change in time to
become large ones and perhaps that is when the additional energy is imparted.
I like the thought of a long range effect since that offers an opportunity for
coupling among a multitude of individual particles.  This coupling could allow
for the positive feedback mechanism that reinforces both the field and the LENR
activity.  Both can then grow until some limiting factor arises.

IIRC DGT does suggest that the external magnetic field changes with time as
their reaction varies.  The question that arises is whether or not that rate of
change would be able to generate a sufficient electric component.  I find it
interesting that nickel has a strong magnetic interaction that may well
contribute to the rapid field changes.  And, of course, the threshold in LENR
occurring around the curie temperature of nickel must has some significance.

Dave