Mark--

A simple definition of a metastable  nuclear isomer and how they can be created
is warranted to further the understanding of your comments.

As I understand, an isomer is merely a nuclear energy state above the ground
state for any given nucleus.  Such energy states I think can be spin states
above the ground spin states.  There may be other electric dipole isomer states
and magnetic dipole states both of which are above the ground energy state of
the nucleus in question.  The magnetic and electric dipole states can be
created by resonant input energy either magnetic or electric or both, I
believe.  Quadrapole interactions are also possible.  The magnetic resonance is
behind the mechanism of MRI machines.   (As I recently noted GE has just
announced a hyperdipole imaging device using C-13 as any excitable nucleus.
They even call their device  SPINlab.)  The name suggests isomeric spin states
of C-13 or electric or magnetic dipole states are being created.)  I don't
understand the quantum energy levels possible as a result of strong nuclear
force coupling between neutrons and protons.

The key question is what are the rules for creating metastable states--ones
that cannot decay back to the ground states after energy stimulation is
removed?  Energetic  coupling to electrons via acceleration in an electric
field or spin coupling may be possible.  Although a dislodged inner electron
would not create a gamma (associated with nuclear decay) x-rays would occur.

Mark--Does this make any sense?

Bob