In this case, I am talking about the previous demonstration where the COP
was only about 2.  Were we supposed to forget about that one?

Because the calorimetry was not described, and how the conductor heat loss
was considered was not spelled out, it is not fair to assume they were
ignored. The difference could be a factor of 2, depending on how these
losses were accounted.  Calorimetry is frequently done by measuring
temperature as a function of time - this provides no evidence that the
Qcond was considered or ignored.

I believe that Mills IS showing an overunity device. Others that preceded
him with arc driven systems also showed overunity devices.  Santilli shows
that LENR is occurring in an arc driven system (unmistakable transmutation
evidence).  I think it is likely that Mills is seeing LENR.  He would not
want to say this because his patents only cover the f/h heat generation and
if it were LENR, he wouldn't have any more protection than anyone else.
 This would affect investor response.

Claims for COP being large are a big deal for Mills' company and investors.
 If the COP is less than about 5, he is going to have a hard time reaching
electrical break-even.  A COP of 5 is revolutionary, but it is not going to
be a simple machine or cheap source of electrical power - this affects the
business case and the investment.  Claiming COPs of >10 at this point,
without supporting data is just speculative propaganda, and reduces the
credibility of all of the LENR field.

Mills does have the advantage in working in a high enthalpy regime.  The
enthalpy of electrolytic LENR systems was really low - hard to convert to
useful energy.  Rossi really amped up the enthalpy by first going to steam
temperatures, and now 400-600C operating temperatures.  Mills' arc driven
system is much hotter and higher enthalpy still - probably operating in the
1000C+ range.  In this range, the enthalpy is high and the Carnot
efficiency is high.

Don't get me wrong.  I have not ruled out Mills' f/h states or even a
single DDL state as being possible.  In fact, I like the idea and feel that
if these states exist, they would be instrumental in LENR by providing a
means for the energy to be removed from the input atoms before fusion
occurs, eliminating the need for a big energy release after fusion occurs
(which is not observed).  Yeong Kim published a QM analysis that said these
states basically do not exist.  However, the existence (or not) could be
pre-determined by the formulation of the problem.  Mills formulated the
problem in a different way and found these states to exist. So, I am still
hopeful that these states exist.

I applaud Mills for his steadfast research and getting the funding to do
the work.  What I hate is the unwarranted hype with big short term claims
that just seem to disappear into the noise as their completion date
approaches - when they fail and are discarded.  It hurts the credibility of
LENR research and the ability of others to get funding.

Bob