The inverse cube law is normally seen when a two pole magnet is observed at a
dimension that is relatively large compared to the spacing between those poles.
 If you monitor the field variation when close to one of the poles you get the
second order behavior.

The actual internal structure of the magnetic field generation is not known so
it is highly speculative to assume that the external magnetic field originates
from one tiny region within the reactor.   I personally think that the field is
the net vector sum of a very large number of tiny sources and hence may not
become as large as is suggested as we close in on those individual sources.

The time rate of change of the field becomes important as one attempts to
understand the penetration of that field through the structure.  A rapidly
changing field is attenuated strongly by conductive material while a steady
field has a free pass.

It is OK to speculate wildly on vortex since that is one of the guiding
principles, but we must always realize that most of these ideas will turn out
to be false once the true nature of the beast is revealed.

Dave