The magnetic field distribution can be quite complex and depends upon how the
various component fields combine.  One thing that I feel comfortable in saying
is that the external field must behave in such a manner that the total normal
flux through any external volume element must add to zero at any particular
time.   The discovery of a monopole has not been established so far and that
would be necessary if this were not the case.

Flux must arise from some regions of the metal box and then return through
others.  This type of distribution would not be consistent with a constant
steady state flux at every point around the device.  Of course, if they are
finding that the magnetic flux varies with space and time as the reaction
proceeds, then perhaps it is possible for the average to work out.  That would
appear to be a major observation with interesting implications.  If I recall,
there remains a highly conductive shield surrounding the unit which would make
a strong effort to slow down outside observations of the internally rapid
magnetic fluctuations.   The conductive metal behaves somewhat analogous to a
low pass filter in electronics since it attempts to keep the magnetic flux
passing through it constant.

Some have suggested that the large external magnetic field is a measurement
error.   We must await release of additional data before anyone can draw that
conclusion.  Also, the interaction of an electromagnetic field and LENR has
many attributes that we have been discussing.

An interesting case to speculate upon would be that the observed field is due
to the combination of a very large multitude of individual active areas that
are battling for supremacy.  The fact that such a large net field is seen would
indicate that each of the smaller elements might have truly enormous local
fields as suggested by Axil.   This might further indicate that the low pass
nature of the conductive shield ultimately dominates the external field
distribution and time domain characteristics.   Think of this effect as
somewhat comparable to the way an oscilloscope views the impulse response of an
electronic low pass filter.  What you see is so strongly influenced by the
filter that the output signal no longer closely resembles its original shape
prior to filtering.

Dave