it remind me the observation of Iwamura as noticed in the book of Ed
Storms, that transmutation seems to be the fusion with an even number of
deuteron (2-4-6), with preference to stable isotopes.

following the hydroton theory, NiH transmutation should be even number of
protons with preference to stable isotope...

question on hydroton theory is whether the transmutation is

d+X+d ->Y or   d+d->alpha alpha+X->Y
or even for 6d fusion
d+d+d+X+d+d+d -> Z (a very collective event, maybe more probable because X
is heavy compared to 6d)

many speculation to check with experiments.

another idea of ed storms is that the 2d/4d/6d option is based on 3
dimension of space, that could allow fusion with deuterons/protons pairs
from 3 independent hydroton which cross on an impurity heavy element...
strange ...

the reason the branching ratio is not  like free space is probably because
the reaction is geometrically constrained...

I bet on nd+X+nd with the feeling that it is based on collective behavior,
coherence and geometry.

Maybe that is naive idea based on my competences, but I feel quantum
mechanics more like cavity resonance than like billiard. Geometry is
important.